Tuna is a great tasting and healthy option for either a snack or meal choice. The health benefits of tuna are impressive and numerous, making it a perfect choice for family meals.
One of the best sources of lean protein, tuna helps to promote muscle building, regulate metabolism and helps the body burn fat. Tuna is naturally low in fat and typically has approximately 1 gram of fat per serving when it is packed in water.
This makes tuna a good substitute for fattier meats.
Tuna is well known for being loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Studies have shown that these essential acids play a key role in important body processes. Omega-3 fatty acids promote brain function, are linked to lowering bad cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure.
The high levels of vitamin B help to relieve inflammation in joints as well. Tuna is truly a nutrient-rich food and contains many other vitamins and minerals.
See also: Best coffee grinder under 100
What Does Tuna Taste Like
There are many healthy tuna recipes available for high protein, low fat meal options. Canned tuna is normally packed in either water or oil; water packing is lower in fat and the basis for all healthy tuna recipes.
Healthy tuna recipes may contain moderate amounts of low fat mayonnaise. In most cases, vegetables can be added to the recipe to transform it into a powerful antioxidant meal.
Many health conscious people are already very familiar with the delicious and nutritious dishes that can be made with canned tuna. The huge number of healthy tuna recipes is a testament that healthy, great tasting meals can be made both quickly and easily.
A Trusted Family Favourite
Tuna is one of the most easily prepared and healthy food options available today. The taste appeals to both children and adults, making it a great choice for preparing snacks or family meals.
A long-time favourite family meal choice due to the obvious health benefits, canned (or pre-packaged) tuna is also very affordable and convenient. Albacore tuna is commonly used in place of canned chicken in many recipes due to its consistency and taste.
Canned tuna can be purchased months in advance of its planned usage making it a very versatile meal option. Since canned tuna is pre-cooked, the only preparation needed for tuna is opening the can.
Tuna dishes are quick and easy choices when there are time constraints. For people that don’t have a lot of free time available for meal preparation, tuna is a prime choice for healthy snacks and meals.
See also: Cottage Cheese Taste Like?
The Best Tuna Recipes
There are many dishes that include tuna as the main ingredient. Tuna has a delicious taste, an agreeable texture and consistent quality that makes it an ideal choice for sandwiches, wraps,salads, casseroles and other dishes.
The widespread appeal of tuna makes it as popular of a choice for catered events as it is for family meals.
Tuna can transform any recipe into a healthy, protein-rich and nutritious dish. The fatty acids in tuna have led to its reputation as a heart healthy food and it is also very low in fat. The best tuna recipes take this nutrient rich food and combine it with other tasty ingredients to create a delicious dish.
Best Canned Tuna Recipes
There are numerous tuna meal recipes that can be easily incorporated into your family’s meal plan.
While many people equate the phrase “healthy cooking” with long preparation times and expensive ingredients, a single can of tuna not only offers numerous nutritional benefits, it is an affordable and versatile product that can be applied in a variety of different ways.
While the thought of tuna for some conjures an image of tuna fish salad sandwiches in the lunchbox, the ingredient can be used in many hot dishes that are certain to please all members of your family.
The following is just a small list of potential dishes that can be created and served using a can of tuna:
- Tuna Penne.
- Tuna Casserole and Italian Orzo.
- Tuna Noodle Casserole.
- Tuna Mashies.
- Tuna Tostadas.
- Tuna Pad Thai.
- Asian Tuna Noodle Salad.
- Tuna Curry.
The above are a mere handful of the hot, creative dishes that any family would love.
Simple Canned Tuna Recipes
Canned tuna is pretty darn good and there’s a lot of recipes out there that will help you to make it even better!In this installment you’ll learn how to take some canned tuna and stir-fry to cook yourself up an amazing Tuna Stir-Fry Treat with the addition of a little brown rice.
This recipe is super simple and the only things you’ll really need are your canned tuna, stir-fry (broccoli in this case), some olive oil, and then the side of brown rice if you so desire.
Another thing you can do here is to melt some butter and spices to add in to your stir-fry and really cause a flavor overload.
Once you’ve got your butter melting you’ll want to get your brown rice out and start cooking it in its own pot next to the butter.
As the rice is doing it’s thing get your tuna and stir-fry ready. Place the stir-fry in a bowl and allow it to thaw. You can use the defrost option on the microwave to gently get all the ice off it without heating it too much.
When you have your vegetables sufficiently thawed mix them into a bowl with the tuna.
With the main ingredients coming together it’s time to coat the tuna stir-fry with a little olive oil. This will keep the mixture from cooking to quickly and becoming too burnt.
Once you’ve poured the olive oil over the stir-fry it’s time to pour all of it into a large pan to cook.
Cook with high heat for a few minutes stirring frequently. This is also the time when you’ll want to add in the decadent butter topping we melted at the beginning. So take that pan and pour a good helping of the buttery goodness over the sizzling stir-fry.
At this point your stir-fry is going to be getting really tasty and cooked. So, give it just a few more minutes until everything has had a chance to get warmed through really well and all the flavors have had a chance to blend and combine. Once you’re ready then take your pan and serve!
There you have it! A very simple, cheap, and yet amazing buttered tuna stir-fry with a small side of brown rice. Dig-in and enjoy!
Simple Tuna Fish Recipes
Tuna Steak Curry
Tuna has been the most opted fish over other seafood’s because of its valuable form of protein. Tuna steak can be grilled, fried or make a sumptuous fish curry. Tuna steak can be served to children and also invalids since it is easy to digest.
When buying a full Tuna fish, one should check its freshness. The flesh must be firm, the eyes must be bright and not sunken into the head and most of all there must be no unpleasant smell.
Here is a simple and quick way in preparing a delicious meal of Tuna steak curry.
Tuna Steak Curry Ingredients.
- 1 ½ Kg firm Tuna steak.
- 1 large onion.
- 2 large tomatoes.
- 1 large sweet green pepper.
- 10 cloves of garlic.
- 1 to 2 teaspoon garam masala.
- Coconut milk.
- Tamarind to taste.
Tuna Steak Curry Method.
- Clean the Tuna steak well and fry very slightly on both sides or do it quickly under the grill.
- Now put into a saucepan with enough coconut milk to cover and a little over. Add tamarind to taste. For this recipe, most people prefer to use only the thick coconut milk. Or, if you think there is not quite enough of the thick milk, you can add in a little of the thinner extract.
- Since there are many kinds of tamarind, both sweet and sour, the amount to be used must be decided by the individual. This will depend on the kind of tamarind the cook has in the kitchen. Tamarind is considered to be good especially with fish.
- Grind together the onion, tomatoes, sweet pepper and garlic.
- Add to the fish, along with the garam masala, and salt to taste.
- Simmer very slowly until the fish is tender and the sauce thickened. After the fish is cooked, one can serve with boiled white rice or coconut rice. You can opt to coat with a white or parsley sauce.
Tuna Potato Salad
Tuna Potato Recipe – A light salad ready in minutes. Excellent source of protein.
Tuna Potato Salad Ingredients.
- 300g New Potatoes.
- 5 Spring onions (or baby green).
- 250g Flaked tuna (cooked or from tin).
- 100 g Loose sweet corn (pre-boiled).
- 1/4 tsp freshly chopped lemon thyme.
- 1 Table spoon olive Oil.
- 1 Red sweet Pepper.
- 1 Green sweet Pepper.
- Salt and Pepper.
Tuna Potato Salad Method.
- Slice potatoes (leave skin on) horizontally 1,5 cm thick.
- Boil potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Drain and leave to one side.
- De-seed and chop peppers finely. Add peppers, potatoes, chopped thyme and sweet corn to a large frying pan with 1 table spoon of olive oil.
- Chop and add spring onions to the pan, stir regularly on high heat for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and take off the heat.
- Allow to cool down.
- Gently mix tuna flakes to the vegetables and serve cold.
Tuna Steak Recipe – Bife Atum Portuguese Recipe Ribatejo Region Style.
Tuna Steak Ingredients.
- 4 Tuna Steaks.
- 300 g Organic New potatoes.
- 1/2 Broccoli.
- 1 Organic tomato.
- 2 Organic carrots.
- 50 g butter.
- 3 Soup spoons Olive oil.
- 4 Cloves garlic.
- 100 ml white wine.
Tuna Steak Method.
- Marinate tuna steaks in chopped garlic and white wine for at least 2 hours. This will increase tenderness.
- Grill tuna on each side for about 2 minutes and take off the heat.
- Boil new potatoes for about 7 minutes.
- Boil chopped carrots and broccoli for about 4 minutes in separate pans.
- Heat frying pan, add marinate juices at high heat and fry tuna for about 1 minute each side.
- Decorate plate with 1/2 raw tomato per person, add hot vegetables and Tuna steaks.