Every vegan knows that you are going vegan is a decision you make out of empathy for your body, improve your health, protect the environment and other sentient beings. It’s a compassionate and healthy choice.
There are plentiful plant-based foods and meat substitutes to eat and enjoy, but it can often leave you scratching your head and wondering what to cook if you crave some comfort food—fare that has traditionally not gotten the best reputation.
Today, you’ll learn how you can make a very healthy, vegan variation on an old game day favorite.
The Best of Vegan Comfort Food
More than likely, your comfort foods and flavors from childhood like pizzas, gooey mac and cheese are quite different from the recipes you see splashed across the internet on vegan websites or Instagram. Some of them are a far cry from the real thing.
And that’s okay, but when a craving strikes for real comfort food, you need a recipe you can whip up quickly that has an incredible texture and hits the spot. This recipe checks all those boxes and leaves you feeling satisfied. Best of all, this “wings” recipe is 100% vegan—made with tofu.
Tofu is bean curd that people in Japan have been eating for an astounding 2,000 years! According to WebMD, it is super nutritious and helps combat hot flashes due to natural plant estrogens and fight coronary heart disease.
Studies suggest that this squishy, protein-rich food can help prevent colon cancer because it is high in natural fiber. It can also inhibit the growth of prostate cancer by keeping PSA levels at minimum levels.
Research has been limited, but tofu may also help keep your face smooth and wrinkle-free thanks to potent isoflavones. Those same isoflavones could also provide bone-building power and prevent bone loss.
And these are just a few of the reasons to love tofu! It can also be easy to keep on hand and whip up whenever you need an added protein or nutritional boost to your meal, or a healthy “cheat” day meal like these Crispy Buffalo Tofu Wings.
Traditionally, we eat buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing or another type of cheese sauce. However, this is a challenge for a vegan.
Fortunately, there are a plethora of vegan cheese substitutes now that are made from everything from cashew to tofu or almond. Not only are these super healthy, but they fit seamlessly into a vegan lifestyle, and you don’t have to give up your cheese.
Some brands to look for are Daiya or Kite Hill. They are the perfect snacks or additions to recipes like these Crispy Buffalo Tofu “Wings.”
Mock Buffalo “Wings”
With no further ado, let’s get right into it! These wings are easy to make. You will want to make them every week.
- A heavy item to press the tofu or try a tofu press like this.
- 6 ounces firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes (about half the package)
- 1 tablespoon flour (can be gluten-free all-purpose flour for gluten-free wings)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan buffalo sauce
- Avocado or sunflower oil spray
- Daiya Blue Cheeze Dressing (optional)
- Place the tofu between two cheesecloths or paper towels and set a heavy object on top of it, or use your tofu press for a total of 15 to 20 minutes. You can press tofu ahead of time to save a step.
- Find two bowls. In one bowl, pour the unsweetened almond milk. In the second bowl, blend the flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and pepper. Next, coat the tofu with the flour mixture. Then place it in the unsweetened almond milk, then back to the flour mixture. This process ensures that the tofu cubes are completely covered with the batter.
- Spray a large skillet with avocado or sunflower oil spray. Thoroughly cook the tofu on each side until it is crispy. This step should take about five minutes.
- Toss with vegan buffalo sauce and serve with Daiya Blue Cheeze Dressing for an extra flavor kick. Eat with your favorite sliced vegetables, like celery and carrots.
- Enjoy! No one at the game will even miss the chicken wings!
Build A Vegan Recipe Repertoire
It’s essential to find a stash of favorite vegan recipes and save them for a rainy day, like this list of comfort foods that have been given a vegan makeover. Some of these might be even better than the originals! Just like with the Crispy Buffalo Tofu Wings, there are so many recipes you can try. All you need is the willingness to have some fun in the kitchen!